"Uncle" John Turner aka Red Turner,
Drums 1968-1970 and 1981
Uncle John Turner was born and raised in Port Arthur, Texas. John Turner first played drums with Jerry LaCroix. Uncle John Turner met the Winter brothers and performed with them a few times as a substitute. In 1968, Uncle John Turner convinced Johnny Winter to try a full blown blues band and sent for his friend Tommy Shannon to play bass. This group quickly got natonal recognition and began making records and shortly after that played Woodstock, with Edgar Winter as the fourth member.
In 1981 Uncle John and Johnny rejoined to work on the songs for the album: "Back
in Beaumont" and to do a mini-tour.
The First Album.
Back in Beaumont
Albums with others
- Entrance-Epic/w Edgar
- Rough and Ready--BlackTop/w Mike Morgan & the Crawl
- Seventh Son--Orphan/w Alan Haynes
- Before the Storm--I.A./w J.W.
- Midnight Creepers-Collectibles/w Rocky
Hill, Albert Collins, Kim Wilson, & Tommy
- Before I Go--/wRoy Cox, Tommy
Shannon, Chris Layton. "Banzai" LaRocca, Joel Duhon,etc.
- I Can't Believe My Eyes--Palindrome/w Paul Orta (Uncle
John sings 2)
- Shake It (same as above, Uncle John sings1)
- Tex-Mex Blues--P. Orta
- Preachin the Blues--Angelwing/w Preacher Keen, featuring
Alan Haynes, gtr.
- No Cover/w Appa's Blues Power( Unc sings 2)
- Sixth Street(same as above, Unc sings 5)
- Southern Rock--CBS (various artists)
- Tony Redman Band (unc sings 1)
- Jan Gerfast--Second
- Cotton-eyed Joe and Other Dance Hall Favorites/w
Isaac Payton Sweat and Joey
Long Watch for DOC BLUES, a new Blues label from Austin.
Uncle John Turner, Tommy Shannon, Johnny Winter Photo